Amware Pallet Services, now doing business as Symbia Logistics, is hiring a Shift Supervisor for our Roanoke, VA site. This position is for 2nd shift; hours are Sunday-Thursday 4:30 p to 1 am. Learn more about our company at Symbia.com.
Under the direction of the Plant Manager, the Shift Supervisor is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the refurbishing of damaged pallets while ensuring employees meet company standards for safety, security, and productivity while adhering to customer's quality criteria. Fast paced production environment that requires meeting and exceeding production quotas on a daily basis.
- Provide direct daily supervision of warehouse personnel to ensure the safe, clean, and efficient operation of the warehouse.
- Assist in developing a program to train and motivate personnel for increased effectiveness.
- On a daily basis, develop and implement shipping and receiving work schedules and assignments to assure effective and efficient operation.
- Make recommendation to the Plant Manager on programs to improve warehouse operations.
- Supervise the checking of outgoing and incoming freight for proper counts and codes.
- Assist the Plant Manager in planning space utilization to meet prescribed cost standards.
- Continually evaluate space utilization and suggest methods for improving layout.
- Supervise the relocation and consolidation of product as required.
- Ensure proper stock rotation. Assist in conducting physical inventories as required.
- Direct the operations of the warehouse personnel to achieve prescribed objectives.
- Apply sound communication and motivational techniques in supervising, counseling, and discipline subordinates.
- Interact with other departmental management to achieve goals.
- Attend warehouse meetings.
- Supervise all inbound and outbound shipments to ensure they are correct and carried out in a timely fashion.
- Supervise all repair and inspection activities to ensure quality and efficiency.
- Work to maintain the operational budget. Assist in developing the budget when required.
- Implement an appropriate performance evaluation system for recommending promotions, wage increases, and terminations.
- Develop and implement a daily plan for allocating equipment to jobs. Ensure that equipment is utilized in the most efficient manner.
- Coordinate with the Maintenance Mechanic to ensure that a sound maintenance program is being implemented.
- Ensure that all records and reports regarding warehouse activity are prepared on a timely basis and effectively maintained.
- Review operating goals and standards on a daily basis and monitor achievement.
- Evaluate housekeeping, security, and sanitation levels on a daily basis.
- Review warehouse operations daily to ensure the warehouse is neat, secure and well organized; and that damage to product, equipment, and the facility is prevented.
- Ensure that all safety procedures and policies are followed.
- Operate in compliance with OSHA and MSDS Standards.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Effective time management and the ability to prioritize.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual; English/Spanish strongly preferred
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent .
- Three to five years’ experience in a similar position.
- One to two years management experience with particular emphasis on leadership, supervision, communication and planning.
- Frequent lifting, pulling, flipping of 75 to 85 lbs. pallets.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time (at least 2 hours straight, four times in an 8 hour day).
- Able to twist, stoop, squat, reach above shoulder level and crouch on a frequent basis.
- Able to use hands and feet simultaneously and perform repetitive movements.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- The work environment consists of occasional extreme temperature shifts ranging from very cold to very hot.
- Exposure to dust and loud noise (hearing protection is provided)
- Regular exposure to moving mechanical parts and moving forklifts
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medical, Dental Vision, Short-term and Long-term Disability; Life Insurance